Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bow Hunting Deer Tales-Released

Hello fellow archers and outdoor enthusiasts

I was doing some browsing in a large sporting goods store the other day. Sometimes when I walk the isles of the store I'm not really looking for anything in particular. I'm looking for that new item that would really come in handy for elk camp or the deer hunt. Also, if I'm lucky, I will find a particular item that I broke or lost last year but forgot about until I spotted it in the store. This is not how it usually works. Most of the time, if I didn't replace the item as soon as I got back from camp last year, I will realize that I am missing it on my first bow hunting camp this year. I hate it when that happens.

I found myself purchasing a new bow string release. As I was standing in a line at checkout, I started reminiscing about how I came to need yet another release. I had stated in an earlier blog that when I first started bow hunting deer that I used a re-curve bow with no sights. I didn't even have dreams about a trigger release for a bow. That would have been far fetched dreaming. I used a simple leather pad with a whole cut out for my thumb and a slit between the index and middle fingers for the arrow. I used that fairly effectively for a couple years but I never really liked it. My fingers would get sore during practice and I would get string twist with many of my shots. This would cause my arrows to fishtail or wobble slightly.

I joined an archery team a couple years after I started bow hunting and at that time I graduated to leather finger tabs. This was a leather shooting glove with just 3 leather fingers and straps to hold them on my hand. I actually used these for many years, even after I switched to a compound bow. I know several archery hunters who still prefer them. Traditionalists will usually use this type of shooting glove or the slit tab mentioned earlier. I, however, made the switch to the trigger release. I fell in love with it. No more sore fingers and my accuracy actually improved.

There is one thing that you must remember when using a trigger release of any kind. You must always have it on your hand or rapidly accessible when hunting. You will spend much time on the shooting range sighting in your bow. You should be practicing with the same equipment you will use in the field. If you find yourself in front of a large deer or elk or whatever without your release, you will be in for an experience. I know, I've been there and it wasn't pretty. My gloves were kind of bulky with cotton fingers so I removed the glove and pulled the arrow with my bare fingers. My bow was set at 65lbs and it was my original compound bow which didn't have any let off. I was using cross-hair sights and a peep on the string. It was a 45 yard shot and my arrow went about 2 inches over its back. My sighting was different than it was with the release.

I have used several different types of mechanical releases since then. Last summer after watching the US archery competition I decided to buy a t-handle release. All of the finalists in the competition were using this type of release. I figured that they are the best shots in the US so they must know something. I bought a nice release and changed the way I held my release. With my old release, I held my hand with my palm down or facing my cheek. With the new t handle release I held my palm facing away from my cheek. This worked very well. My shots were right on and I thought I stumbled on to something great. Using that release had required me to adjust my sight pins, but once set I had great smooth releases right on target.

Now it was time for me to relearn and old lesson. On the weekend before opening day of bow hunting deer season I changed my field tips to broadheads and went to the range. I always have to make slight adjustments. It got cold that weekend so I took along a pair of my hunting gloves. I paid the fee to shoot at the target range where they have great broadhead targets. I hauled all my stuff to the target area and commenced to shoot. Believe me when I tell you, I simply could not use that new release with gloves on. It simply wouldn't work for me. I had just enough of a problem that I couldn't guarantee myself a clean release every time. I ended up going back to the range with my old release and re-sighting my bow the next day. This is just a reminder, always try to test new equipment in the same manner it will be used. Even though I've known this for years, last year it slipped right by me.
By the way, the reason for the new release this year. When I used the t-handle release I added a loop to my string which I liked. My old trigger release worked with it but the calipers were a little to wide which made it a bit difficult to grab the loop. These are very good points to remember when buying new archery equipment. The silver lining in this cloud is that I won't have to worry about having a back up release. Here is to having a great season. JG

No comments:

Post a Comment