Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bow Hunting Deer-a learning experience

Hello Bow Hunting friends,

I may have gotten a little carried away on my last blog with my personal camping preference but
I was reflecting on my early years. When I went on my first bow hunting elk and bow hunting deer camps I didn't have a clue. I really didn't know or care what to bring along so long as I got to hunt. It wasn't until I harvested my first elk, when I realized that I was not prepared. Since then I have learned a great deal and I am always learning more. I have shared deer camps and elk camps with people from all walks of life. I've hunted with longshoremen, welders, carpenters, lawyers, medical doctors, dentists, nurses, unemployed and the list goes on. One thing we all have in common is our love of nature, camping and the hunt. Each and every one of us seems to learn from each other and enjoy each others stories while any social barriers seem non existent.

These blogs as well as articles and other sportsmen,s sites are a great way to help and inform as well as entertain. Beginners can pick up tidbits that may improve the quality of their hunting trip. Some of the camping equipment and hunting accessories I talk about make the whole experience just a little better. Being prepared for the best as well as the worst, can make the difference between a great trip and a complete disaster. Like the time...

It was a beautiful fall morning. The sun was still behind the mountains but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was already almost 70 degrees out at 06:30. Several of us at work had decided to go on a backpacking trip with our bows and arrows. We picked out a place on the green trail map where we would meet. It was on the Pacific Crest Trail in the central Cascade mountains.
I picked the 65lb back pack out of my rig, attached my bow and a quiver with 8 arrows. I had 2 20 oz. water bottles and some energy bars handy. I had never done this kind of hunting before and had spent the last week going over everything that I thought I would need. I was excited and apprehensive at the same time. All I had to do next was carry myself and the pack up 4 miles of switchbacks from an elevation of 1200 feet to an elevation of 5,000 feet.

The other archers had left the day before. I had to work on the day they left so I hiked up by myself and joined them on top. I found them in their camp about 5 hours later. They had set up a makeshift archery target and were having a friendly competition. I was in agonizing pain. About three quarters of the way up, my thighs were burning so bad that I hardly noticed the blisters forming on my feet. I hadn't taken the pack out on any trial hikes so I had no idea of how heavy that pack was going to be by the time I got up there. If I had, I probably would have noticed that my hunting boots were not the ideal footwear for uphill walking with a load. Just one more time that I had to learn the hard way. One of the other bow hunters was a emergency room doctor and had brought some mole skin pads and ibuprofen. I had neither and gladly accepted both.

We all had a great trip and saw many animals in a near pristine, road-less and awe inspiring countryside. The scenery and vistas were breathtaking, especially during sunrise and sunset each day. Because of that, I endured the blistering pain of walking for several days. I now know to wear comfortable hiking boots with 2 pair of socks. I also know that when I feel a hot area on my foot, to take my boots off, cool my feet and apply some petroleum jelly to the area which
decreases the friction. Since that time and to this day, I carry moleskin pads, small petroleum
packets and a pill fob with pain pills for emergencies in my fanny pack.

Until we meet again, J G

No comments:

Post a Comment