Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bow Hunting Unseen and Dry

Hello fellow bow hunters

Well, I'm presently back from an extended stay in the mountains. I have been sleeping in a tent and traversing the hillside for many miles. The first couple days it was windy and raining which made it chilly camping. I had brought along a 5 gallon propane tank and a Mr Buddy heater which got used for a couple nights. It is amazing how comfortable a person can get in a tent. We used our king size air mattress and a great king sized sleeping bag. With the heater running on low all night, it almost got to warm.

My wife came along for the first 3 days so she could pick blueberries. We had our camp tucked between some noble firs and more full blueberry bushes than you could shake a stick at. Unfortunately, she had to wear rain gear the first two days but she still picked berries. The bow hunters would get up before daylight and head out so as to be in a good area for the first hour of daylight. She would sleep in and then when she felt like it, walk around the camp and pick berries. When she got home, she froze about two gallons of berries in zip lock bags and dehydrated about four gallons and sealed them in quart jars. We will have blueberries until next year.

Bow hunting deer and bow hunting elk takes some physical conditioning, certain skills, some good luck and proper clothing helps. If you're out in the woods all day and you get wet and cold, you are less likely to thoroughly enjoy the experience. Believe it or not, I've actually heard other archers use profanity to describe such a hunt. I have been there, done that many times.
This trip I brought along some camo hunting clothes that really worked. Any one that has spent time hunting or hiking in the mountains knows the difference clothes can make.

There is a big difference between water resistance and water proof. If you are hunting elk and still hunting, you are putting a lot of time on your feet. You automatically start looking for a good place to sit a spell from time to time. I have done that while wearing water resistant pants.
I was comfortable and warm until I sat on a fallen tree and rested. When I got up, my backside was wet and became cold. It changed the hunt.

This time, I wore water proof pants with Gore Tex. Not only did I remain warm and dry, but camouflaged and hidden as well. The other thing I especially liked about the camo pants is the fact that they have a front zipper. I never did like having to pull my pants down for number one while standing in the driving rain. Take it from a fellow bow hunter, buy yourself a good pair of water proof boots and pants. They may be a bit pricey but they will last for years and probably save you money in the long run. I have tried several brands over hundreds of miles and many years and the Gore Tex has always outperformed. I bought mine at Cabela's and I recommend that you check them out now, while your thinking about it.

As always, have a safe, warm and enjoyable outdoors experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment